Exercise and Stress Reduction
Get on the Path to Wellness at Our Corpus Christi Gyms
When it comes to good health, physical activity is essential to reducing stress. We all understand the benefits of exercise and physical activity on our body — like how it improves overall fitness, body mass index (BMI), and cardiovascular and muscular health — but what impact does it have on your emotional health? Studies show that exercise can relieve stress, reduce depression, and improve memory and focus.
How Common Is Stress?
Statistics show that no one is immune to the consequences of stress, regardless of age, gender, or demographic background. According to The American Institute of Stress:
- About 33 percent of people report feeling extreme stress.
- 77 percent of people experience stress that affects their physical health.
- 73 percent of people have stress that impacts their mental health.
- 48 percent of people have trouble sleeping because of stress.
What measures can we take to counteract stress?
Exercise in almost any form can act as a stress reliever. Being active can boost endorphins, a naturally occurring hormone produced by your nervous system. You may have heard endorphins referred to as the “feel good” hormone, because they are known to boost mood, reduce pain, and alleviate stress.
As much as everyone is affected by the impact of stress, the good news is everyone can counteract it. If you are not exactly in shape or a top class athlete, it doesn’t matter; even a little exercise can go a long way in managing stress.
Get Active at Freedom Fitness!
Here are four tips from our gyms in Corpus Christi to help you get moving:
- Work towards a reachable goal! Build up your fitness level gradually, with attainable milestones that challenge you but don’t discourage you. Being unrealistic in your goals increases stress, and could possibly result in injury. Reach out to one of our Freedom Fitness professionals to help you set some reasonable fitness goals.
- Find a friend and make exercise fun! Make plans to meet for workouts. Working out with a friend or family member can be really motivating! Group classes are a great way to spend time together and achieve your goals.
- Do what you love doing! Pick an activity that you enjoy, such as walking, running, bicycling, yoga, weightlifting, or Zumba!
- Make sure to recover and relax. It’s important to give yourself time to recover after a challenging workout. Take care of your body by spending some time in one of our hydromassage beds. Make sure you’re getting adequate and quality sleep. These steps are also essential to reduce stress and increase well-being.
Exercise is proven to increase your confidence, lower your anxiety, relax and help you sleep a little better.
Freedom Fitness health clubs offer a range of services and amenities like personal training, yoga, Zumba, bootcamp, cardio areas and more. With four Corpus Christi locations, find the Freedom Fitness nearest you — and let exercise be your stress reliever.
Get moving and try us out with a FREE PASS!